The USAID Indonesia Urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Penyehatan Lingkungan Untuk Semua (IUWASH PLUS) program is a five-and-a-half-year initiative designed to assist the Government of Indonesia (GOI) in increasing access to water supply and sanitation services as well as improving key hygiene behaviors among urban poor and vulnerable populations. USAID IUWASH PLUS works with governmental agencies, the private sector, NGOs, communities and others to achieve the following “high level” results:
1. An increase of 1,100,000 people in urban areas with access to improved water supply service quality, of which at least 500,000 are from the poorest 40% of the population (also referred to as the “Bottom 40%” or “B40”), vulnerable groups or Indonesia’s eastern provinces; and
2. An increase of 500,000 people in urban areas with access to safely managed sanitation.
To ensure that improvements in access to WASH services are sustained, USAID IUWASH PLUS is guided by a development hypothesis that focuses on strengthening service delivery systems, so they can more effectively reach the poorest and most vulnerable segments of the population. In order to achieve this at scale, the program undertakes activities through four interrelated components, including: 1) improving household WASH services; 2) strengthening city WASH institutional performance; 3) strengthening the WASH financing environment; and 4) advancing national WASH advocacy, coordination and communication. In support of these components, USAID IUWASH PLUS also implements a Local Sustainability and Innovation Component (LSIC) that is designed to stimulate WASH innovations that strengthen community, private sector and government WASH service provision.
To achieve these outcomes IUWASH-PLUS need high caliber candidate to fill the position of
BC/Marketing Associate, based in Jakarta for WJDT Regional Offices (JOB Code: BCMA-WJDT)
The primary objective of the above position is to implement IUWASH PLUS BC/Marketing activities at the local level to achieve water supply and sanitation related targets under Component One “Improving Household WASH Services”. The main activities are creating demand (including building awareness) and promoting market based approach, strengthening community and enhancing their relations with external stakeholders (private sectors and local government).
The BC/Marketing Associate will support BC/Marketing Specialist in coordinating the overall IUWASH PLUS BC/Marketing Programs in the designated region, including behavior change/social mobilization and marketing activities, enhancing community relation with stakeholder, and increasing access to micro-finance or other support/sources of fund. His/her responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
• Supporting Regional BC/Marketing Specialist to undertake regular assessments in the area of (both water supply and sanitation) for the target locations to identify existing conditions, main issues, potential demand, possible conflict with other programs and commitment from key local partners and stakeholders (including PEMDA, PDAM, Dewan Pengawas, MFIs, etc.).
• Increase household demand for WASH Services, with special focus on:
o Supporting programs to increase households demand for WASH services
o Providing support to city and district governments and relevant staffs including sanitarians, local health agency, including kader Posyandu and local/community leader to implement STBM (urban STBM approach) and behavior change programming; may include capacity building (training etc.) and activities
o Establishing strong partnership with city and district governments as well as with private sectors (including local banks, CSR) to create market based approach for WASH products and services, and financial support (micro finance, etc.) to help community (especially bottom 40% of population) to access WASH products
o Conducting social mobilization activities to build awareness on WASH and promoting behavior change, in close coordination with WASH Facilitators
o Promoting WASH products and building WASH promotion channel at community level, in close coordination with WASH facilitators
o Promoting market based approach for WASH products to build ownership of the product and to ensure sustainable behavior change
o Seeking potential partners to promote WASH products as well as to link WASH service provider to the consumer (especially bottom 40% of population)
o Promoting STBM approach in urban setting and engaging city and local governments to replicate the approach, this will include financial access and supply to WASH products
• Support preparation of IUWASH annual regional work plans and budgets resulting in agreed action plans with local partners, incorporating cost-sharing and /or leveraging of local and national stakeholders.
• Support BC/Marketing Specialist to monitor overall WASH BC/Marketing activities in the region, in line with agreed activities and budgets, including development of SOW for regional field activities (events, trainings, exchange visits, FGD, discussion forums, etc.)
• Contribute to the regular IUWASH PLUS progress reports regarding all Regional BC/Marketing activities
• Support BC/Marketing Specialist to track progress against performance indicators through regular monitoring of activities and results following the relevant indicators in the approved IUWASH PLUS Activity Monitoring Plan (AMP).
• Together with BC/Marketing Specialists maintaining regular contact with other Regional BC/Marketing Specialist and Associate, join regular IUWASH meetings, and provide regular updates to Regional Manager and National coordinator under Component I on ongoing and planned field work with local partners.
• Ensure strong linkages between Regional BC/Marketing programs and activities of Component 1 with other IUWASH PLUS Components, including: Component 2, Strengthening City and Districts WASH Institutional Performance; Component 2, Strengthening city WASH institutional performance; and Component 4, Advancing national WASH advocacy, coordination and communication, also include Component 3.
• Identify opportunities and support activities to utilize the Local Sustainability & Innovation (LSI) Program to advance increased safe water access to poorest 40% of the population.
• Input related to the above for IUWASH biweekly, quarterly, annual and other reports as well as workplans.
• Accurate data in accordance with the IUWASH PLUS Activity Monitoring Plan (AMP)
• Technical and programmatic reports, manuals, event materials, articels and other publications related to the above.
• All activities and strategies shall be coordinated and reported on a timely basis and regularly to the BC/Marketing Specialist and cc –ed to the Regional Manager.
Minimum General Qualifications:
• A bachelor’s degree in a relevant fields;
• Experience in working with International Donor Agency Program
• At least 7 years experiences working in community mobilization, demand mobilization and behavior change, preferably in WASH sector
• Strong facilitation skill, knowledge and experience in participatory approach as well as participatory monitoring and evaluation, preferably experience in WASH sector
• Good communication skill and experience working with multi stakeholder; government, CBO, PKK, private sector/CSR, koperasi/MFI, university etc.
• Experience with USAID programs is highly desirable.
• Possesses good verbal and written communications skills in Bahasa Indonesia and English;
• Understanding of water, sanitation and hygiene issues is an advantage;
• Flexibility to work on evenings and weekends on occasion, and to travel substantially within Indonesia.
Expected Start Date : Available immediately
Interested applicants are invited to send a complete application with 3 references to IUWASH_plus_recruitment@dai.com before November 24, 2019. Please write the job CODE in the subject line of the email. We regret that we are unable to acknowledge receipt of all applications and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.